Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Buckley's Pride and Prejudice vs. Austen's Pride and Prejudice: Creative Blog #1

The Spring Drama this year amazed me beyond expectations. Though it was quite different from Austen's novel, the actors and scenes really resonated the reality of early English society. The ability of each character to accept and perform their role thoroughly was refreshing. While the basic personalities of every actor was identical to that of Austen's original characters, the execution of the story differed. The direction was outstanding; the audience was able to get a fulfilling idea of the novel while sitting only for a duration of 3 hours. Overall, my favorite performance was Olivia's as Lady Catherine De Bourgh (and I'm not just saying that). Her attitude and comedic personality was perfect for the role and she stood out amongst others. While the whole of the play was cleverly dialogued and beyond hilarious (I heard the whole audience burst into laughter every few minutes) I most respected the timing. The moments that Austen designed to be serious effectively connected with each audience member on an emotional level and when it came time to break the ice, the show was on top of it. Not once was I bored, or I wondered how much longer the play would be. It was beautifully executed and skillfully represented Austen's original vision of early England.

3 comments:

  1. Gauri, Great review of the play!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gauri, I did not see the play but I really like this review!! Now I want to see it (although obiviously it is too late)! I really like the way you described the play as a comedy and the way you gave your own personal imput about the portrayal of the characters. This is a really great review.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gauri, your review of Pride & Prejudice is spot on. Honestly, Olivia took a character like Lady Catherine de Bourgh and brought her to life. Everything was great in her portrayal of the snobbish aristocrat from Olivia's facial expressions to her delivery of de Bourgh's lines. I couldn't stop laughing during her and Miranda's scene!

    ReplyDelete