Sunday, September 19, 2010

The Most Important Aspect of a Strong Essay

The most important aspect of a strong essay for me, is clarity. Though a title may be the aspect that causes me to even begin reading an essay, clarity and flow are what keep me reading it. One essay in the Red Reader that embodied clarity for me was C2 Mrs. Bennet: Austen's Punching Bag. This essay was superbly written. Not only did the title hook me as I was flipping through the pages deciding what to read, but the simplicity of the essay allowed me to really enjoy it. As a reader, I want to be able to understand ideas thoroughly and make my own opinions based upon them. In the essay by C2, the author's writing, because of its clarity, flows like a song. Each body paragraph is clear and impacts the reader in a new way, connecting back to the thesis, much like every stanza in a song connects back to its chorus. Introducing a new and intriguing idea can be quite difficult to put into writing, however, this essay is able to use simplicity to its advantage and clearly communicate complex ideas to the reader. Overall, this essay was my most favorite piece of reading in the Red Reader because of its unique idea and above all, ability to keep the reader involved until the end due to its clear statements.

No comments:

Post a Comment